The announcement took place yesterday though after so many “false alarms”, there was really a need to see it in order to believe it. The verdict? Unlike the fabled Loch Ness Monster, the White Apple iPhone 4 really do exist! And it is available right now at Apple Store locations and its online store.
According to an exclusive interview with All Things Digital, Phil Schiller, the Senior Vice President of Apple, admitted unforeseen difficulties in the white iPhone 4’s production process. Originally set for launch with its black counterpart last year, Apple delayed it because of “…a lot of unexpected interactions between the color of the device and various internal components…”. Furthermore, the ghostly white device needed additional protection from the sun’s UV rays. Ever the perfectionist, Apple rather get it “right” in spite of fan’s complaints. There was some good that came out of this episode, however. In the same interview, Apple CEO Steve Jobs added that the company’s research into the white iPhone 4 resulted in the creation of the white iPad 2. Maybe more white Apple devices are to come later?
Priced at US$ 199 (16GB) and US$ 299 (32GB), the White iPhone 4 is available now at Apple retail stores, its online store, AT&T, Verizon Wireless, and select authorized resellers. The phone is also available in 27 other nations, including China. Unfortunately the memo didn’t get to an entire group of Chinatown residents, who waited last night in the hope to resell the phone back in China…
Austria | Australia | Belgium | Canada | China | Czech Republic | Denmark | Finland | France | Germany | Hong Kong | Ireland | Italy | Japan | Luxembourg | Macau | Netherlands | New Zealand | Norway | Singapore | South Korea | Spain | Switzerland | Sweden | Taiwan | Thailand | UK | US
Cellular + Wireless
- UMTS/HSDPA/HSUPA (850, 900, 1900, 2100 MHz)
- GSM/EDGE (850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz)
- CDMA EV-DO Rev. A (800, 1900 MHz)
- 802.11b/g/n Wi-Fi (802.11n 2.4GHz only)
- Bluetooth 2.1 + EDR wireless technology
Power + Battery
- Talk Time: Up to 7 hours on 3G | Up to 14 hours on 2G
- Standby Time: Up to 300 hours
- Internet Use: Up to 6 hours on 3G | Up to 10 hours on Wi-Fi
- 16GB or 32GB flash drive
- Retina display
- 3.5-inch (diagonal) widescreen Multi-Touch display
- 960-by-640-pixel resolution at 326 ppi
- 800:1 contrast ratio (typical)
- Fingerprint-resistant oleophobic coating on front and back
- Support for display of multiple languages and characters simultaneously
- Frequency response: 20Hz to 20,000Hz
- Audio formats supported: AAC (8 to 320 Kbps), Protected AAC (from iTunes Store), HE-AAC, MP3 (8 to 320 Kbps), MP3 VBR, Audible (formats 2, 3, 4, Audible Enhanced Audio, AAX, and AAX+), Apple Lossless, AIFF, and WAV
TV + Video
- Video formats supported: H.264 video up to 720p, 30 frames per second, Main Profile level 3.1 with AAC-LC audio up to 160 Kbps, 48kHz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4, and .mov file formats; MPEG-4 video, up to 2.5 Mbps, 640 by 480 pixels, 30 frames per second, Simple Profile with AAC-LC audio up to 160 Kbps per channel, 48kHz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4, and .mov file formats; Motion JPEG (M-JPEG) up to 35 Mbps, 1280 by 720 pixels, 30 frames per second, audio in ulaw, PCM stereo audio in .avi file format
- Support for 1024 by 768 pixels with Dock Connector to VGA Adapter; 576p and 480p with Apple Component AV Cable; 576i and 480i with Apple Composite AV Cable (cables sold separately)
Camera + Photos + Video
- Video recording, HD (720p) up to 30 frames per second with audio
- 5-megapixel still camera
- VGA-quality photos and video at up to 30 frames per second with the front camera
- Tap to focus video or still images
- LED flash
- Photo and video geotagging
- Three-axis gyro
- Proximity sensor
- Ambient light sensor
In The Box
- iPhone 4
- Apple Earphones with Remote and Mic
- Dock Connector to USB Cable
- USB Power Adapter
White iPhone Arrives Tomorrow
CUPERTINO, California-April 27, 2011-Apple® today announced that the white iPhone® 4 will be available beginning tomorrow. White iPhone 4 models will be available from Apple’s online store (www.apple.com), at Apple’s retail stores, AT&T and Verizon Wireless stores and select Apple Authorized Resellers.
“The white iPhone 4 has finally arrived and it’s beautiful,” said Philip Schiller, Apple’s senior vice president of Worldwide Product Marketing. “We appreciate everyone who has waited patiently while we’ve worked to get every detail right.”
iPhone 4 is the most innovative phone in the world, featuring Apple’s stunning Retinaâ„¢ display, the highest resolution display ever built into a phone resulting in super crisp text, images and video, and FaceTime®, which makes video calling a reality.
Pricing & Availability
White models of iPhone 4 will be available in Austria, Australia, Belgium, Canada, China, Czech Republic, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Hong Kong, Ireland, Italy, Japan, Luxembourg, Macau, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Singapore, South Korea, Spain, Switzerland, Sweden, Taiwan, Thailand, UK and the US, beginning Thursday, April 28 and in many more countries around the world soon. White iPhone 4 will be available for a suggested retail price of $199 (US) for the 16GB model and $299 (US) for the 32GB model with a new two year agreement through the Apple Store® (www.apple.com), at Apple’s retail stores, AT&T and Verizon Wireless stores and select Apple Authorized Resellers.
Apple designs Macs, the best personal computers in the world, along with OS X, iLife, iWork and professional software. Apple leads the digital music revolution with its iPods and iTunes online store. Apple has reinvented the mobile phone with its revolutionary iPhone and App Store, and has recently introduced iPad 2 which is defining the future of mobile media and computing devices.