Just weeks before the official start of the 2012 Summer Olympics in London, Nike honored eight of Great Britain’s top Olympic hopefuls with its Sporting Greatness tribute – a bespoke version of the iconic Nike Sportswear M65 Jacket customized with each athletes’ journeys to their Olympic dreams in mind. Packaged in an all-white wooden case emblazoned with laser-etched Union Jack,the all-white Nike M65 Jacket features a Union Jack on the left sleeve and the athletes’ own personal mantras printed along the inside placket.
- For Marathon World Record Holder Paula Radcliffe, the message reads “Be the best you can be each day”
- For Dai Greene, the 400m hurdles European,Commonwealth and World Champion, the message reads “100% effort, 100% of the time”
- The mantra for UK 400m hurdles National Champion Perri Shakes-Drayton is “Train hard. There are no short cuts”
- To Distant runner and 1500m World Championship Silver Medalist Hannah England, its “Every rep. Every session. Every race”
- Current British record holder for pole vault, Holly Bleasdale, lives by “Believe in yourself and magic will happen”
- Another 500m World Champion, Mo Farah, dishes some tough love with “Go hard or go home”
- Chicago Bull’s Forward and member of this year’s NBA All-Star team, Luol Deng insists on “I’ll return to deliver”
- Then there is the fastest man in the world on two wheels, cyclist Mark Cavendish, who employs a simple slogan “Remain the fastest. Stay the greatest”
In scenes repeated again and again, Nike surprised each of the athletes with the jacket and a special presentation. Former Chicago Bulls’ star Scottie Pippen took the opportunity to presents the M65 Jacket to Luol Deng during World Basketball Festival at Brixton. Meanwhile, track and field great Carl Lewis’ presence during the presentation of Perri Shakes-Drayton’s M65 Jacket left her awed, speechless, and all smiles.