The decision to have the unveiling event inside of a Airbus hangar the A380 double-decker passenger jet in Hamburg tells plenty about the 2014 Mercedes-Benz S-Class and its importance within the company. With the Maybach vehicle line no longer available, Mercedes is the only German automaker without a subsidiary to satisfy the needs of ultra-wealth clientele. Hence, the need to wow VIPs, spectators, guest, and world press & media with full-course dinner by world’s best chefs and a piano serenade by Alicia Keys.
Though just an inch or so longer and wider than the existing S-Class, designers at Mercedes completely reshaped the new edition. Sharing the same design DNA as the current crop of Mercedes vehicles, the 2014 S-Class looks to be a larger E-Class on front, with hints of CLS-Class on latter half of the car thanks to its sloping profile. This creates a drag coefficient of only 0.24, better than many new sedans out in the marketplace today.
In order to meet the demands and wishes of China’s nouveau riche, oil sheiks of the Middle East, and Russian oligarchs, Mercedes topped off the new S-Class with not just amenities but many “firsts” too, such as:
- The first ever car without a single light bulb: Featuring 56 LEDs for headlights, 35 LEDs for taillights, 4 LEDs for rear fog lights, and over 300 LEDs for interior lighting.
- Advanced Night View Assist Plus: Third-generation night vision system automatically switches the instrument cluster display from the speedometer to a crystal-sharp night view image, capable of detecting hazards on unlit at speeds over 60 km/h. Additional IR sensors at the front and rear for added precaution.
- Elegant new control centre: Two 12.3 inches TFT displays with the left one as the instrument cluster and the right one as infotainment information. Control is done through a rotary pushbutton with touch-sensitive telephone keypad for hands free calls and voice-control. Thanks to a “Corona” lighting effect, both screens appear to be floating in air.
- Five different rear seat variants: Front seats are electrically adjustable for length, height, inclination, seat cushion depth, with a 4-way Power lumbar support. Rear seats recline up to 45 degrees with calf support and temperature-controlled cupholders. All seats have temperature setting, ventilation-controlled, and massage functions.
- AIR-BALANCE package: Active perfuming system with four scents – Freeside Mood, Nightlife Mood, Downtown Mood, and Sports Mood. The perfumed air flows throughout the car’s interior via a separate ventilation system with adjustable setting.
- Communication centre and concert hall: State-of-the-arts communication and audio system with COMAND Online as its centerpiece. Powered by Intel Atmo processing chip, there is wireless connectivity to the Internet or real time navigation through Google Map. COMAND Online also creates separate Bluetooth connectivity for both front and rear passengers. Thanks to its Frontbass system, 24 speakers, and Burmester High-End 3D?Surround Sound, the in-car sound system rivals any live-performance within a concert hall.
Those are just some of the offerings you will find on the new 2014 Mercedes-Benz S-Class. Availability will start this September with the S550 sedan rolling into dealerships near you. The S550 4Matich will follow in November, plus a S63 AMG 4Matic model to come soon. Other possible variants include a plug-in hybrid, a twin-turbo V8, and an extended wheelbase in place of the defunct Maybach.