Apparently, there is no need to visit KAWS’ Solo Exhibition in Switzerland for a quick experience in the sense of scale. In fact, just swing by the corner of East 57th Street and 5th Avenue Maison in New York City to observe titans on display as dinosaurs invade Louis Vuitton‘s 5th Avenue Maison. Inspired by a recent trip to Les Jardins des Plantes of Paris’ Natural History Museum, the creative team at Louis Vuitton devised a window display unlike any of their previous designs. Motivated in part by people’s fascination with dinosaurs, the team decided to bring the museum to them instead by re-creating parts of the fossil exhibition hall as the flagship store’s window display.
Every bit customized with museum quality display case made of real dark oak, as a way to match the stores’ parquet floors, each then lined with premium quilted velvet in canard-green. Even the skeletal replicas of the pre-historic beasts underwent a “premium make-over,” plated in layers of shining antique gold. But to truly rouse a sliver of “realism,” the team mischievously placed each colossus next to Louis Vuitton’s iconic handbags (the Speedy, the Sofia Coppola, the Alma and the Noe) and mannequins dressed in Pre-Fall 2013 Collection.
The dinosaurs on display include:
- The spiny Dimetrodon, the oldest of the selection, dating from 290 million years ago, with its distinctive sail of spines on its back.
- The placid Stegosaurus, with plates across its backbone like a jaw full of wonky teeth.
- The gigantic, pond-paddling Brachiosaurus.
- The swift-footed, fast-thinking Velociraptor.
- The predatory Spinosaurus, largest of the meat-eaters, even bigger than the Tyrannosaurus Rex.
- The three-horned Triceratops, the youngest of the bunch at a mere 65 millions years old.
The dinosaurs window display is currently on view at Louis Vuitton‘s 5th Avenue Maison in New York City.
Louis Vuitton – 5th Avenue Maison
1 East 57th Street | Map
New York, NY 10022
TEL #: 212-758-8877