Blackberry has announced their newest smartphone combining a Blackberry keyboard and a full touch screen called the Blackberry Torch 9800 succeeding the popular Bold series. In addition to the new touch screen, the Torch will include the following new hardware, a powerful 624 Mhz processor with 512 MB Flash memory, 4 GB of built in memory in addition to a microSD/SDHD memory card slot and a 5 MP camera with flash, continuous auto focus and image stabilization. The shell has been elegantly redesigned but with elements that should be familiar to fans of the Blackberry Bold series. For more technical specifications, please see below.
With this launch, the Blackberry Torch will be the first smartphone to feature the highly anticipated Blackberry 6 operating system. The OS has been redesigned to work seamlessly with the touch screen and trackpad but retains many of the features loyal Blackberry users are use to. The Blackberry 6 browser is now WebKit-based allowing the Torch to render HTML pages quickly and more beautifully. It also means there will be tabbed browsing allowing users to browse multiple sites simultaneously, pinch-zoom for easier navigation and better text wrapping for easier reading while maintaining key page elements. Another useful addition is the new Universal search allowing users a single search solution to search through email, messages, contacts, music, videos and more on the smartphone.
The BlackBerry Torch 9800 will be available only for AT&T customers on starting August 12th, 2010 for $199.99 with 2-year service agreement. Blackberry 6 will only be available on the BlackBerry Torch 9800 initially but it should be available within a few months on the BlackBerry Pearl 3G 9100, BlackBerry Bold 9650 and the BlackBerry Bold 9700.
BlackBerry Torch Smartphone Features
- Elegant styling, measuring approx. 4.4" (5.8" open) x 2.4" x .57" and weighing 5.68 ounces
- 3.2" 360x480 capacitive touch screen display
- 35 key full QWERTY backlit slide-out keyboard, designed to feel optimally balanced when opened for typing
- Optical trackpad that makes navigation fast and smooth
- Powerful 624 Mhz processor with 512 MB Flash memory
- 4 GB built-in memory storage plus a microSD/SDHD memory card slot that supports up to 32 GB cards; a 4 GB card is included giving users 8 GB of storage out-of-the-box
- 5 MP camera with flash, continuous auto focus, image stabilization, scene modes, geo-tagging and zoom, as well as video recording at up to 640x480 resolution
- Built-in GPS for location-based applications and geo-tagging
- Wi-Fi® (802.11 b/g/n); qualifying smartphone customers can enjoy seamless connectivity to over 20,000 AT&T Wi-Fi hotspots at no additional cost
- 3.5mm stereo headset jack
- Premium phone features, including voice activated dialing, speakerphone and Bluetooth® (2.1) with support for hands-free headsets, stereo headsets, car kits (including systems that support the Bluetooth Message Access Profile standard) and other Bluetooth accessories
- New BlackBerry® Desktop Software 6 with integrated media sync for easily syncing music, photos and videos**. It also includes Wi-Fi Music Sync, a unique feature that allows users to view their entire iTunes® or Windows Media® Player music libraries from their BlackBerry smartphone, create and edit playlists as well as select music for download. When in range of their home Wi-Fi network (or via USB), the changes are synced with iTunes or Windows Media Player and the songs are automatically downloaded to the smartphone
- Tri-band HSDPA (3G) and quad-band EDGE support for the option of voice service in more than 220 countries, data service in more than 195 countries and 3G connectivity in more than 125 countries, including Japan and South Korea
- Removable, rechargeable 1300 mAhr battery that provides approximately 5.8 hours of talk time on 3G networks or 30 hours of audio playback or 6 hours of video playback