Memorial Day weekend is less than two weeks away, which means we're standing on the cusp of barbecue season, arguably the best time of the year. And while summer cookouts do have their pitfalls -- sunburns, grass stains and barbecue sauce-stained fingertips representing some of the most immediate dangers -- that doesn't mean we need to be similarly careless in matters of style. Casual doesn't have to mean sloppy, discard the cutoffs and flip-flops and consult our latest edition of the Freshness Grid for pointers when it comes to summer's long weekends.
[column width="48%" padding="3%"]1. Oliver Peoples Sheldrake Sunglasses It's hard to go wrong with Oliver Peoples shades, and the Sheldrake is especially a good bet, offering a squared-off, circular silhouette that'll flatter almost all facial shapes.
2. Superga Linen Sneakers The classic 2750 model from Italy's Superga is updated with a linen upper to beat the summer heat.
3. Gant Linen/Cotton Barstripe Crew Sweater The perfect layering piece for chilly evenings, the crewneck is constructed from a supremely breathable linen/cotton blend, finished in nautical stripes for an added dose of maritime style.
4. Gitman Brothers Vintage Bucket Hat The utilitarian bucket hat becomes the life of the party, thanks to a florid pattern that demands to be noticed.[/column]
[column width="48%"]5. Timex Weekender Casual, timeless and reliable, at a price that's less than your weekly coffee budget.
6. Lightning Bolt Landscape Tee Born out of Hawaiian surf culture in 1971, Lightning Bolt is still the coolest beach brand around. The soft cotton fabrication and throwback graphics are instantly evocative of the endless summer.
7. Stussy x Porter Tote Bag Your headphones, sunscreen, keys, baseball mitt and phone? Dump them in this tote, built with the quality and reliability that comes with all Porter bags.
8. Saturdays Tommy Chino Shorts Not too long, not too short, and versatile enough to wear all summer.[/column]